I was lurking on the Google map from early in the night. Ohio was already leaning blue when I got there, so the big vote wasn’t as much of a nailbiter as it could have been.
Can’t decide what my favorite part is:
* We got Elizabeth Warren!
* We got a bunch of female senators overall!
* Including Tammy Baldwin, our first openly gay senator-elect! Including Mazie Hirono, our first — well, in her own words: “I’m a woman. I’ll be the first Asian woman ever to be elected to the U.S. Senate. I am an immigrant. I am a Buddhist. When I said this at one of my gatherings, they said, ‘Yes, but are you gay?’ and I said, ‘Nobody’s perfect.’”
* Creepy rape-apologist candidates who want to legislate about the female body without having the first idea how it works: kicked to the curb across the nation! Because Claire McCaskill has ways of shutting that whole thing down.
* “Stephen” managed within the space of half an hour to give us innuendo about spanking, lament the sight America (read: himself) in sexy high heels, and trade air-kisses with Jon before yelling “I love you!”
* Same-sex marriage all over the place! Maryland, the state I grew up in! Also Maine and Washington! And in Minnesota, an initiative to ban it was voted down!
* We get to keep our gay soldiers and our health care!
* Constant and flagrant lying: shown not to be a winning electoral strategy!
Also: Puerto Rico may possibly be on the path to becoming a state? I can’t wait to see the new 51-star design of our flag. Although it will be awfully inelegant to no longer have a 100-seat Senate. Does Hawaii still want to secede? (Of course, I’d rather not give up Mazie Hirono…) Or maybe we can merge the Dakotas. There’s no reason we need two of those.
And finally: after the votes were mostly counted and the concession speeches coming in, I got to cuddle with a pretty girl. So! All things considered…a good night :D