Question Meme from dA April 12, 2015Posted by Erin Ptah in Memes, Personal.
add a comment
I’m going to totally break the chain-meme component of this, but I’ll answer the questions on the post I was tagged in anyway.
1. Do you still keep in touch with friends you had before high school?
A few! Mostly in the form of liking each other’s Facebook posts.
2. What is one skill or physical ability (within typical human capabilities) that you’d like to acquire?
Composing music. I love writing new lyrics for existing songs, but don’t have the talent with notes and instruments to come up with new ones.
3. Do you consider yourself an artist, or rather, someone who happens to do art, and what leads you to this conclusion? (No need to answer if you don’t do art at all.)
An artist. Because I do a lot of art, on a regular basis, and would miss it if I wasn’t able to. (For contrast: I’ve knitted a couple of scarves, but I haven’t done any knitting in years, and don’t feel any pull to get back to it. So I’m not A Knitter, just someone who happens to have knitted.)
4. Do you have a food you like that most people you know hate or won’t try? If the latter, do you think their unwillingness is reasonable or not?
Black jelly beans! If other people don’t like them, that’s fine — more for me. Regular bags of jelly beans often don’t even include them any more…but in exchange, they sell bags that are 100% black jelly beans. I am all over this deal.
5. Suppose that when you die, your soul will reside forever in a place from your past. What would you like that place to be?
If I’m existing in that moment/reliving events: CTY from when I was 16. If I’m just floating around the general area: Christchurch, New Zealand.
6. What’s your favorite language and why? (Not necessarily one you understand.)
How am I supposed to pick one? Languages in general are fascinating. IDK, ancient Sumerian seems neat.
7. What would you put on your personal coat of arms?
Cats rampant. Some Sailor-Moon-related motifs. The quartered pattern of the Hellsing coat of arms. Forest green and gold.
8. What artistic medium do you most admire?
I bow to anyone who can create complex, subtle, detailed works in watercolor.
9. Would you rather be poor or unloved?
Depends. Does “unloved” mean I don’t get any positive social interaction at all? Or does it just mean nobody will be in love with me, maybe I won’t have deep lifelong tell-each-other-everything kinds of friendships, but people will still leave nice comments on my fanart and so on? Because I’d take the latter.
10. Sunrises or sunsets?
Sunrises. They remind you to go to bed.
Friends & followers, if anyone wants to answer these same questions, take the meme and run with it.
“So I’m writing this AU in the His Dark Materials universe.” December 5, 2013Posted by Erin Ptah in Memes.
add a comment
Me: So I’m writing this AU in the His Dark Materials universe.
politicette: You can have the use of my copies of the books.
themistoklis: And my PDFs, for easy searching.
Gimli: And my axe.
The Wikipedia game March 6, 2013Posted by Erin Ptah in Memes, Personal.
1 comment so far
Go to Wikipedia, click on Random Article, and then click the first link not in italics or parentheses. Follow it until you get to Philosophy, and then report the path you took.
Bobby Hogg – Association football – Team sport – Sport – Competition – Biology – Natural science – Science – Knowledge – Facts – Proof (truth) – Necessity and sufficiency – Logic – Philosophy
Colangelo – Family name – Personal name – Proper noun – Noun – Part of speech – Grammar – Linguistics – Science – Knowledge – Facts – Proof (truth) – Necessity and sufficiency – Logic – Philosophy
And so on :D
In other news, tomorrow I take my girlfriend home to meet my parents. Wish us luck!
…and a Grumpy Cat in a Christmas tree. December 25, 2012Posted by Erin Ptah in Memes.
Tags: Christmas, Memes, video
add a comment
Shipping meme December 7, 2012Posted by Erin Ptah in Memes.
add a comment
Send me a ship and I will tell you:
–when or if I started shipping it:
–what makes me happy about them:
–what makes me sad about them:
–things done in fanfic that annoys me:
–things I look for in fanfic:
–who I’d be comfortable them ending up with, if not each other:
–my happily ever after for them:
–what is their favorite non-sexual activity:
(You all know my fandoms by now, I presume…)
End-of-year magic December 24, 2011Posted by Erin Ptah in Memes, Personal.
Tags: first lines meme, Harry Potter, the most wonderful time of the year
1 comment so far
Spending the holidays with the family, marathoning the box set of all the Harry Potter movies and being lightly mauled by Ziggy Stardust (that’s the cat). Good times.
2011 First Lines Meme:
January: I’ve come to the conviction that nobody actually manufactures New Year’s commemorative spectacles or paper hats. They spring forth fully formed once any given party is in full swing, in a kind of celebratory parthenogenesis.
February: Another round of poems – all in one thread this time. (One of them is seventeenth-century tentacle porn. In couplets. No, really.)
March: Continued from yesterday’s post: the conclusion of the adventures of The Steamypuff Girls.
April: Anyone have recommendations for good sites where you can sell used books? (And hopefully DVDs, CDs, etcetera.)
May: For example: several anons from extremely small towns tl;dr about the experience of growing up there.
June: This is a topic I’ve been pondering a lot recently. It’s probably a natural result of following a bunch of Issue-based fandom comms, rec lists, and fests…but honestly, what spurred the post was a bunch of summaries that looked intriguing and thoughtful, leading into fics that were just bad.
July: Just spent my evening finishing off the ebook for But I’m A Cat Person #1, then the rest of the night promoting it everywhere I can.
August: Back in the land of the Internet after almost a week of sporadic access. Computer is groaning under the weight of all the tabs I have open, poor thing.
September: I’ve applied to grad school for library science, starting in the spring semester of 2012.
October: FFA’s reputation in other Internet spaces. Very through-a-glass-darkly. Thread was frozen over contentious discussion of triggering events on other communities, so do tread carefully.
November: The OTW is the topic of the moment, with Yuletide and board elections on the horizon; and I’m glad the meme is around, because now that Metafandom is dead I have no good source for roundups of this stuff.
December: (To the tune of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen)
God Rest Ye, Unitarians
Pow! Biff! Wham! May 8, 2011Posted by Erin Ptah in Memes.
I’m starting to think fight scenes are hard to write for the same reason sex scenes are. You have to plot out all these specific actions, and make sure they make physical sense and happen in a rational order, and then you have to figure out how to describe them in a way that is original and interesting even though there are only so many ways to say “Alex threw a punch.”
(Yet another reason to love comics. You can draw a scene and convey all the impact in a single moment, instead of having it slowed down over the time it takes to read a thousand words of description.)
Anyone have recs for well-written fight scenes? Print or online, fic or original — anything where you read the action and it felt like action.
Good things come in tens March 12, 2011Posted by Erin Ptah in Memes.
add a comment
I didn’t get this from anyone, but hey, every meme has to start somewhere:
Describe ten series that you’ve been into lately, in one line each. See how many people can guess what they are.
Uses a loose definition of “lately” meaning “over the past year or two”. Includes manga, anime, Western animation, and live-action.
1. When it comes to friendshippy detective-sidekick pairings, you can keep your John and Sherlock.
2. It’s the evil megacorp your evil megacorp could smell like.
3. EVERY EPISODE is a Wham Episode. Seriously. YOU ARE NOT PREPARED.
4. This show is sheer elegance in its simplicity.
5. An affectionate, non-mocking comedy that doesn’t wildly misrepresent the minds of slash fangirls? Dare I hope they’ll keep it up?
6. Pure lighthearted comedy, which makes it that much more dissonant to watch the episode about a natural disaster potentially destroying a Pacific island nation.
7. “Jesus is my homeboy.” –Buddha
8. It doesn’t actually mean anything. Just sit back and enjoy the adorable puppy.
9. Unless something better’s on TV…(Hint: nothing is.)
10. I don’t know whether to be glad it was canceled before it became obvious the writers were making things up as they went along, or devastated because it looks like, unlike with its predecessor, they might have actually thought this one through.
A meme I have been sitting on for months now February 19, 2010Posted by Erin Ptah in Memes.
Tags: Sherlock Holmes, Wikipedia
The Internet proudly presents: The Find Sherlock Holmes game!
1) Go to Wikipedia.
2) Click Random Article (on the left navigation bar)
3) From there, only using links in articles, navigate yourself to Holmes’s page
4) Post your path!